Gresham turned a commercial building fire disaster to an advantage, with a rebuilding scheme that added 60% more building volume to the same site at one-third less cost than duplicating the original.

Willoughby Baylor House

The Chrysler Museum has retained E. T. GRESHAM COMPANY to convert this historic Federal Style Town Home into a museum facility. The challenge of the conversion was to introduce fire protection and security systems throughout the three stories and basement without damaging the historic fabric of the house. Additional work included renovation for handicap access and restroom facilities within an non-historic wing and exterior masonry, woodwork and site improvements. The architect is John Paul C. Hanbury FAIA and the owner’s project manager is James Melchor.

The Willoughby Baylor House was originally restored in the 1970’s through the efforts of the Norfolk Historical Society, who in turn donated it to the City of Norfolk. Today the House is administered by the Chrysler Museum.

Richard Wells Gresham served as a junior archaeologist under chief archaeologist Floyd Painter at the site. This field work revealed the site of the pre Revolutionary War Masons Hall ( burned January 1st 1776 ) and the locations of the well, outbuildings and a 19th century cistern for the House.

Architect: Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas & Company

Click Photos To Enlarge View